Monday, November 2, 2009

I've heard of tennis elbow, but COME ON!!!

So, yes, I've been making a good number of cakes lately... but surely not enough for this!!

Apparently my newfound passion does not align well with my ever aging body. For the past few months, I've had this nagging pain in my elbow. I thought nothing of it at first, assuming I just bruised myself trying to get an overfull laundry basket through a doorway or something... but then I started to notice it getting worse. A few weeks passed with no relief so I started paying more attention and headed to my doc. With no other medical explanations, she said my elbow must be inflamed, gave me a steroid Rx and a thumbs up.

Fast forward another month, and as the pain doesn't go away (even with the thumbs up and nice Rx) I chat to a friend in sports medicine (I love having friends "in the know") who talks me through the symptoms of tennis elbow. With his insights in mind, every Monday now, I take an inventory of elbow pain. Low and behold, it seems directly proportional to the amount of time I've spent decorating the weekend before!! So, the only logical conclusion is that I have a VERY rare, but thankfully not deadly case of "cake elbow."

Now, you may be asking, how does one treat the rare "cake elbow" -- and no, rubbing it with buttercream does not help (nor does eating way too many cake leftovers)!! Sadly, apparently the age old advice of resting seems to be the answer. So, my blog might gather a little dust while I recoup... but if you see me walking around town (for those of you in Charlotte) with an elbow brace on, at least you can tell your friends it was for a good cause (while you laugh at me)!! Rest assured, I'll be back at it as soon as I can hold a piping bag!!

No comments:

Post a Comment